School Zone Photo Enforcement
When the Program Began
Edgewood city council passed Ordinance 18-0538 in December 2018, authorizing installation of school zone enforcement cameras. These new cameras augment our city’s police force, helping to ensure drivers obey the posted 20 MPH speed limit in school zones.
Why the Program Began
Ensuring the safety of our students walking to and from our local schools is a top priority. A national survey found two-thirds of drivers exceed the posted speed limit in school zones during the 30-minute periods before and after classes. School zone enforcement cameras provide an ongoing enforcement presence, which creates changes in driver behavior and brings improved road safety to our community.
What the Infraction Money is Used for
In Edgewood, the funds from School Zone Photo Enforcement infractions are used exclusively for public safety purposes, including traffic calming, pedestrian safety, property security, business and residential public safety education and programs, and public safety equipment. The city does not figure potential infraction revenue into its budget, but only budgets after-the-fact purchases for public safety use of infraction funds available from the prior year. Edgewood does not consider infraction revenue a “source” of revenue, but only takes advantage of infraction funds already banked, and as stated, exclusively for public safety purposes. The city has already used these funds to add safety crossing features at intersections, as well as non-infraction radar speed signs throughout the community.
Where the Cameras are Located
There are currently three schools in Edgewood with School Zone Cameras:
- Hedden Elementary School - 11313 8th St E
- Edgemont Jr. High School - 2300 110th Ave E
- Northwood Elementary School - 9805 24th St E
- Why did I receive a Notice of Infraction?
- Will this be reported to my insurance or go against my driving record?
- How much is the fine?
- How do I pay my fine?
- Can I set up a payment plan?
- When is the payment due?
- What if I lost my citation?
- Will I get a ticket if the car in front of me is speeding?
- What times are the lights flashing?
- What if I no longer own the vehicle?
- What if I wasn’t driving the vehicle?
- How do I contest a violation?
- What will happen if I don’t pay the infraction?
- How do I know it’s a valid ticket and not a scam?
- Are the School Zone Cameras accurate?