- 2024 Comprehensive Plan Periodic Update
2024 Comprehensive Plan Periodic Update
In 2023 and 2024, Edgewood will be updating its Comprehensive Plan. In other words, Edgewood will be planning for its future. Comprehensive Plans set the goals and policies that serve as the day-to-day guide for City staff and representatives, including City Council and the Mayor.
The concept of “growth management” is central to city planning in Washington State. The Growth Management Act (GMA) is a series of state statutes, first adopted in 1990, focused on managing population growth throughout Washington. The Growth Management Act requires cities and counties to update their own Comprehensive Plans to stay current on population growth and other key concerns. This means that cities have a say in how they want to plan for their future.
The Comprehensive Plan covers important topics like housing, transportation, parks and recreation, capital facilities, utilities, land use and zoning, economic development, and the environment. The update process looks closely at these topics to make sure that Edgewood continues to grow in line with the community’s vision.
The backbone of every Comprehensive Plan is community input. Through the public engagement process, people help shape the future of the city by voicing what is important to them. If you would like to receive e-mail updates on this update, please contact Senior Planner Evan Hietpas at email@example.com or 253-952-3299.
Open House on Thursday September 21, 2023 at 6:00pm
Kick-off the public participation process. Participants will learn more about what a Comprehensive Plan is, why it is important, and how they can influence the update of goals and policies.
Key Policies and Community Vision Workshop on Thursday October 26, 2023, at 6:00PM
The public provided input on their desired vision for the future of Edgewood, as well as five (5) key policy areas: 1) Housing, 2) Active Transportation and Recreation, 3) Natural Environment and Open Space, 4) Utilities and Public Services, and 5) Equity and Inclusion.
Learn more about the periodic update process from the links provided below.
- Comprehensive Planning Framework Summary
- WA State Department of Commerce Growth Management planning topics webpage - https://www.commerce.wa.gov/serving-communities/growth-management/growth-management-topics/
- Buildable Lands, Capital Facilities, Climate, Environmental Critical Areas, Housing, Natural Resources, Parks/ Recreation, Transportation, and more
- WA State Department of Commerce, Introduction to planning basics, https://www.commerce.wa.gov/serving-communities/growth-management/short-course/