Animal Control

Lost or Found AnimalsMA

The City of Edgewood has an Interlocal Agreement with Metro Animal Services for all your pet-related services/needs. You may purchase your pet licenses at City Hall or you can visit the Metro Animal Services Page to purchase your license online. Licensing and micro-chipping your pet is the best way to ensure its safe return home.  If your pet is lost, a license lets the finder know that it is a cherished member of your family, not a stray.  Click here for more information on licensing your pet

If your pet is lost:

Don’t give up!  Contact Metro Animal Services Shelter at 253-299-PETS (7387).  You can also check with the Humane Society of Tacoma / Pierce County at 253-383-2733.  In addition, consider posting on social media sites.  Be sure to use a recent photograph so your pet is easily identifiable.

If you have found someone else’s pet:

  • Confine the animal if it is safe to do so 
  • Contact Metro Animal Services Shelter at 253-299-PETS (7387) (use same links as above) 
  • If you are able, consider taking the animal to a local veterinary clinic to see if it has a microchip 

Animal Complaints

Metro Animal Services is dedicated to protecting people and animals. Violations of county code and/or state law can have big penalties - from a $246 infraction to imprisonment.  There are two ways to file a complaint - online or by phone.  

For emergencies:

Dial 9-1-1.  Emergencies are situations such as: aggressive and threatening animals currently loose, injured domestic animals, and animal cruelty or abuse in progress.

For non-emergencies:

Call Metro Animal Services at 253-299-PETS (7387).  If directed to leave a message, please include your name, address, phone number, the nature of your complaint and the animal owner’s address, if known. After making a complaint, you may be contacted to obtain a statement or additional information.

Animal Noise Complaints

Metro has three full time Animal Control Officers who provide field services including response to stray or lost animals, barking dogs and animal noise nuisance complaints, aggressive and dangerous dogs, as well as injured animal rescue, dead animal removal, investigating reports of animal cruelty, kennel and pet shop inspections, and public education.

If you need Animal Control assistance, call the shelter at 253-299-PETS (7387).  All calls will be handled on a priority basis. For emergencies involving immediate threats to public safety, call 9-1-1.

Threats to Public Safety

Threats include but are not limited to: 

  • Dogs running loose that have bitten a human 
  • Vicious or scared dogs running in traffic or in neighborhoods
  • Loose horses or livestock roaming in traffic

Dog Bites/Attacks

A dog that has bitten a human must be captured and appropriately quarantined for a ten-day period. Dog bites should be reported to Metro Animal Services as soon as possible by calling the shelter at 253-299-PETS (7387). If the bite requires medical attention, call 9-1-1 to notify an animal control officer.

Injured Animals

Injured animals should be called in to the on-duty animal control officer. After normal service hours, citizens should call 9-1-1.

Stray Animals

During normal business hours, animal control officers will pick up stray animals.  However, pick-ups must be completed by 4 pm to allow the animal control officer ample travel time and processing at the shelter.  You may bring animals directly to the shelter, located in Puyallup at 1200 39th Ave SE.  Due to limited staffing and high caseloads, you may experience a delayed response to your request for a stray animal pick-up.  If you feel it is safe to transport non-aggressive animals directly to the animal shelter, you may prefer to use that option.

You may also request a stray animal patrol if you know of a specific problem in your neighborhood.  Please provide the description of the dog and the owner information if known.  Stray animal patrol requests are handled as soon as possible on a priority basis compared with other requests for service.

Barking Dogs

A certain amount of noise must be tolerated living in urban and suburban areas, as they are part of daily life. However, when the noise becomes unreasonable, such as a chronic, excessive barking dog, we offer suggestions that can help reinstate peace and quiet to your neighborhood.

The first course of action is to speak to the dog owner directly, or if that is not possible, send a letter.  Be sure to use a neighborly tone, offering solutions and compromises, and allow a remedy period.  Those are your best options for solving the problem at a neighborhood level.

If that approach is unsuccessful, please contact the shelter for assistance.  Beyond a written warning, it can be difficult to enforce a barking dog complaint.  Many complaints require one or more witnesses to file a written statement documenting the date, time, and location of the incident; animal description; and the owner information, if known.  Please be prepared to provide additional information to the investigating officer about specific dates and times that the violation is occurring.

Other Complaints

Be sure to report any incidents involving dog bites to domestic animals, ongoing animal neglect, cruelty and/or abuse, or general nuisance problems.  Start by contacting the shelter.

Many complaints require one or more witnesses to file a written statement documenting the date, time, and location of the incident; animal description; and the owner information, if known. Anonymous complaints can be made but any enforcement beyond a verbal warning generally requires that a witness write a statement and be willing to testify in court.   

Show All Answers

1. Animal Control
2. Anonymous Tip
3. Beware of Scams
4. Crime Data
5. Crime-Free Multi-Housing Program
6. Hulk/Abandoned Vehicles
7. Identity Theft/Forgery
8. Medicine Disposal
9. Registered Sex Offenders
10. Vacation Check Request
11. Victim Assistance