When is a permit required?

Building permits, in addition to site plan design review, are required when there is a change of use.

Building permits are required when there are modifications to walls, ceilings or partitions over 5 ft. 9 in. in height.

Site plan design review is required for new construction, expansions, remodels, or alterations by more than five percent of the existing floor area, or for a change of use.

If the proposed use generates additional traffic, a Traffic Concurrency Reservation Certificate (CRC) may be required. The CRC may identify additional traffic improvement requirements.

If additional pavement or stormwater infrastructure is needed, a Surface Water Compliance or Site Development Permit may be required.  

To have a better understanding of what permits are required, you are encouraged to call the Community and Economic Development Department at 253.952.3299 or email permit staff.

Other permits are required for:

  • Modifications to the plumbing system such as sinks, toilets, or plumbing pipe modifications.
  • Modifications to the mechanical system such as heating and cooling ducts, air conditioning units, furnaces, gas piping, hoods and exhaust fan modifications.
  • The installation of any signs.
  • Modifications to the fire alarm or fire sprinklers systems.
  • Modifications to the electrical system, such as lighting and outlet modifications, may require an electrical permit from Labor and Industries.

Show All Answers

1. Is this an allowable use?
2. Is this a change of use?
3. What permits are required for a change of use?
4. When is a permit required?
5. Will modifications to an existing space be required?
6. Is a Pre-Applications Meeting required?
7. Is a Site Plan Design Review required?
8. When is a Traffic Concurrency Reservation Certificate needed?
9. How much will a permit cost?
10. Is a business license required?
11. I'm located outside city limits, do I still need a license?
12. Can I operate my business from home?
13. I have an approved location, how can I apply for a license?
14. I have a license, how do I add a City of Edgewood Endorsement?
15. How do I renew my license?